Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Normal

Some days I end up staying at work longer than usual. Last night, it was already around eight in the evening when I left for home. I made my way two floors down to take the subway. I always try to get on the last car of the train when I get off, as it's the shortest distance to the exit. As I walked towards the end of the platform, I glanced back for no particular reason. A large, obese man in a green outfit with a puffy skirt was coming towards me from the opposite end of the platform. I avoided staring and quickly turned my head away. But curiosity got the best of me and I turned back again to see if what I saw was real. Instead, I noticed a girl carrying a basket while wearing a white 18th-century dress with a scarlet skirt. It was reminiscent of my imagination of the Red Riding Hood story. Half of her face was painted black. I turned away immediately. I figured they must be on their way to a masquerade party. I pretended not to want to look again while I waited at the edge of the platform for the train to arrive. I could tell that she walked past me, but I didn't look back. "If she screams behind me right now, I will jump in front of the train," I thought. Maybe a whisper would be just as effective. The train arrived on the opposite side, and the platform was packed with people. A loud man shouted, "Do you hear them too? Do you see them too? Or are you normal like most people?

No comments:

Post a Comment